Today, at the Sofitel London Heathrow in the UK, EARCS faculty members met to discuss the direction of the Academy. It was announced that eight new applications to the Academy had been accepted (the total number to date) and that EARCS expects approximately 60-80 new teams will register to the Academy each year.
Consensus was reached on a number of significant issues, such as:
- The training programme for EARCS will begin with rectal cancer (rectal and sigmoid colon) to enable assessment of outcomes and refinement, before expanding;
- Standardisation of the training technique will be agreed upon during the next faculty meeting;
- Standardisation of the training technique will be published and comments sought from outside of the EARCS faculty;
- Data fields for the capture of training and clinical data were agreed upon;
- Ideally, trainees should have the same proctor for at least the first 6-7 clinical cases, with some on consecutive days if possible; and
- The next faculty meeting should be on either 25 or 28 September 2015 in Rome, Italy.
The EARCS faculty meeting was attended by the following faculty members:
- Prof. Amjad Parvaiz, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth, UK
- Dr. Ayhan Kuzu, Ankara University (anatomy lecturer, cadaveric courses only), Ankara, Turkey
- Dr. Benno Mann, Augusta Kliniken Bochum, Bochum, Germany
- Prof. R. J. (Bill) Heald, Pelican Cancer Foundation, Basingstoke, UK
- Dr. Daniel Perez, Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
- Prof. David Jayne, St James’s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
- Dr. Fabrizio Luca, Istituto Europeo di Oncologia, Milan, Italy
- Prof. Giuseppe Spinoglio, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Milan, Italy
- Dr. Henrik Loft Jakobsen, Herlev Hospital, Herlev, Denmark
- Prof. Jan Egberts, Universitätsklinikum Schleswig-Holstein Campus Kiel, Kiel, Germany
- Dr. Marcos Gomez Ruiz, Marqués de Valdecilla University Hospital, Santander, Spain
- Dr. Niels Thomassen, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
- Dr. Paulo Pietro Bianchi, International School of Robotic Surgery - Misericordia Hospital, Grosseto, Italy
- Prof. Sergio Alfieri, Policlinico Agostino Gemelli - Università Cattolica Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
EARCS Faculty Members (from left): Prof. David Jayne, Dr. Fabrizio Luca, Prof. Giuseppe Spinoglio, Dr. Paulo Pietro Bianchi, Prof. Jan Egberts, Dr. Marcos Gomez Ruiz, Dr. Ayhan Kuzu, Dr. Niels Thomassen, Prof. R. J. (Bill) Heald, Prof. Amjad Parvaiz, Dr. Henrik Loft Jakobsen, Dr. Benno Mann and Prof. Sergio Alfieri.